Skip to main content

Metropolis—Subway At Westminster Bridge—Question

Volume 203: debated on Monday 11 July 1870

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

said, he wished to ask the First Commissioner of Works, What arrangements have been made or are proposed to be made with reference to the Subway under the Westminster Bridge approach, after the carnage road on the Embankment is opened to the public, as proposed on Wednesday next.

said, in reply, that after the proposal had been made for constructing a subway under the approach to Westminster Bridge, but before it had been constructed, the Office of Works had sold all the land on the other side of Westminster Bridge that could have given access to the subway, reserving only the right of the Crown to go under that subway to the Metropolitan railway station. When he found that that was the case, and that Mr. Barry had been constructing the subway under Westminster Bridge, he requested that gentleman to communicate with the Metropolitan Board of Works and the railway company for the purpose of carrying out what he believed was the intention of the House in sanctioning the subway—namely, that hon. Members should be able to go from the corner of Cannon Row to the mouth of the subway, and thence either to the House, or under the new Embankment to the landing place for steamers. Mr. Barry said that he was unable to make the arrangement he had suggested. It therefore seemed to him that he should get on better if he dispensed with that gentleman's further services. Accordingly he had effected an arrangement with the Metropolitan Board of Works, by which the latter undertook, at its own expense, to open a communication with the steamboat pier by means of a curve, which would not interfere with the land which had been sold. This communication would be open in a few days, and he was very thankful for having thus got out of the difficulty.