Skip to main content

Question

Volume 217: debated on Saturday 2 August 1873

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the First Lord of the Treasury, Whether he is aware that the Commissioners of National Education in Ireland have deferred the consideration of the Rev. Mr. O'Keeffo's application for re-instatement in the managership of Callan Schools till the 4th of next November; and, whether, considering the loss such delay must cause in many ways to the Rev. Mr. O'Keeffe, it is the intention of Government to take action in the matter; and, if so, in what manner?

in reply, said, his hon. Friend had just mentioned to him that he had the subject of the re-instatement of Father O'Keeffe and the Callan Schools in his mind, and that if necessary he would postpone the Question he wished to put upon the subject until Monday. He (Mr. Gladstone), however, had declined to avail himself of the offer of his hon. Friend to postpone putting the Question until Monday, because he could not obtain any authentic information by that time, as the next day was Sunday, and he would not be in any better position to answer the Question then than he was now. Half an hour ago he received a letter from the Rev. Mr. O'Keeffe, conveying his belief that the Commissioners would not be able to consider his application before November. He was not minutely aware of the arrangements of the Commissioners, and he had not been able to communicate with the noble Lord the Chief Secretary for Ireland. He certainly would do so, and if it were possible, consistently with the arrangements of the Commissioners, there should be an early consideration of this question. It was very desirable, if it were possible, to bring it to some final issue; and he certainly would take care that representations were made to them of the importance' of their taking that course.