Skip to main content

Medical Benefit

Volume 52: debated on Thursday 24 April 1913

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.


asked what procedure has to be adopted by Irish insured persons who are members of Irish societies and who wish to obtain the medical benefits due to them in return for their increased contributions while temporarily employed in England; to whom must they give notice; and from whom do they receive the necessary instructions?

An Irish insured person coming to England should apply to the the clerk of the insurance committee of the area to which he comes, who will give him the necessary instructions.

How can an Irish insured person find out the local insurance area he may be in: to whom is application to be made?

He can always obtain the information from his approved society: generally I should think an application addressed to the municipal offices of the borough or county to which he has moved would secure it.

On the assumption that the insured person is taken suddenly ill, is there any means by which he can obtain medical benefit?

The insured person should give notice on arrival in this country so as to be insured for medical benefit. He would have to pay an extra amount, as he would not have been paying for medical benefit in Ireland.