Skip to main content

National Insurance (Service Men's Contributions)

Volume 65: debated on Friday 7 August 1914

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

I beg to ask the hon. Member for St. George's-in-the-East, as representative of the Insurance Commissioners, if he will inform the House what is the position as regards insurance contributions of a man who enlists or is called up for service? Will he also say who pays the employer's contributions?

The contributions during embodied service are at the reduced Army rate of 3d., 1½d. of which is payable by the War Office, and they will be paid on special Army (B) cards supplied by the military authorities. With regard to the ordinary contribution card for the current half-year, Reservists should fill in the name of the society and branch (if any) and deposit the cards at the military depot in the box provided for the purpose. Territorials should send their cards to their societies, writing across them the word "Territorial." Cards left in the custody of employers should be kept until further notice, unless claimed by the men. I may add that during embodied service any claim to maternity benefit should be made by the wife to the approved society, or, in the case of deposit contributors, to the Insurance Committee in the ordinary way.

Will the hon. Gentleman at the same time say something with regard to those who are now employed and who are recruited now, so that they may come in on full rates and not reduced rates?