Skip to main content

Soldiers' Dependants (Medical Treatment)

Volume 387: debated on Tuesday 23 March 1943

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Minister of Health what arrangements there are for wives and children of serving soldiers to obtain free medical treatment if they are unable to afford to pay a doctor's fee?

My right hon. Friend is not aware that the pay and allowances of serving soldiers are insufficient to cover the normal costs of any necessary medical treatment for their wives and children. Moreover, the War Service Grants Advisory Committee have power to supplement the pay and allowances in cases of exceptional hardship, including cases where heavy medical charges are incurred. In any exceptional case which is not met by these arrangements, the wife of a serving soldier who requires medical treatment for herself or her children and is unable to pay for it may apply for free treatment through the district medical service of the county or county borough in which she resides.