Skip to main content

Evacuated Troops And Civilians (Personal Effects)

Volume 411: debated on Tuesday 29 May 1945

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for War if compensation is paid for personal effects left by prisoners of war or civilian internees when being evacuated from enemy territory, and to whom application should be made.

As regards Army officers and men such compensation is payable for a limited range of personal possessions which are necessary for service purposes. Returning prisoners are told at reception camps how they should apply, but claims can be addressed to the War Office. Service kit is, of course, replaced either directly or by means of a cash payment.