Skip to main content

Milk Distribution

Volume 437: debated on Wednesday 7 May 1947

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.


asked the Minister of Food how soon he expects to receive the Report of the Committee on Milk Distribution.

asked the Minister of Food whether he is yet in a position to permit householders to select the milk retailers of their choice.

I have now received an interim Report from the Committee on Milk Distribution covering the immediate future. Briefly, the Committee consider that to abandon the rationalised delivery system this slimmer would make fair distribution much more difficult and might lead to the wasteful use of manpower and other resources which can ill be spared just now. They recommend, however, that consumers should be allowed to change to a supplier of either heat-treated or, where it can reasonably be provided, T.T. milk, where the present retailer is unable or unwilling to supply one or other of these categories of milk.After careful consideration, I have decided to accept these recommendations. I know that some people find the compulsory registration with retailers irksome, but I am sure that the majority will agree that fair distribution and economies in distribution are most important at the present time. I am making arrangements, starting on 1st June, to allow consumers to change their registrations to other suppliers in the same delivery zone if their own retailers cannot supply T.T. or heat-treated milk, though in most cases we shall be able to arrange for the present retailer to receive a supply of either heat-treated milk or T.T. milk. In the very few cases where heat-treated or T.T. milk cannot be provided within the zone, people will be allowed to register for it in another zone, but I am afraid they will have to fetch it. To allow delivery would endanger rationalisation. Consumers desiring, but not now receiving, either T.T. or heat-treated milk should first ask their present retailer to supply them with one or other of these categories of milk, and if he cannot do so should advise the local food office.