Skip to main content

Qualified Teachers (University Degree Course)

Volume 437: debated on Thursday 8 May 1947

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.


asked the Minister of Education how many qualified teachers, who served in His Majesty's Forces during the war, are now being assisted to take an honours degree in our universities under the Further Education Grant Scheme; whether the scheme applies to those who, while at college, volunteered for service; when did the scheme end for those who had to fulfil Class B. obligations by teaching for six months; and if he will direct that replies to inquiries regarding such matters be dated and signed by the sender.

I could not give the information asked for in the first part of the Question without disproportionate expense of time and labour. An award for a degree course is ordinarily given to a qualified teacher where he shows that he was definitely prevented by war service from taking a full-time course at a university. Volunteers are normally within the scope of the scheme. Students who were taking a three years' course and were released from the Forces to teach may apply for awards to complete their full course when they have fulfilled the conditions of their release in Class B. In view of the great amount of correspondence I am afraid that the use of unsigned memoranda in place of signed communications is often at present unavoidable.