Skip to main content


Volume 498: debated on Tuesday 8 April 1952

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.


asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government what progress has been made in taking the gypsy survey and in arranging alternative camping sites in Kent.

The survey is nearly completed, and the Kent County Council has now taken up the question of alternative sites with the local authorities.

That is very good news. In view of the inhuman attitude of many local authorities on this minority problem, will the Minister give every encouragement to find a satisfactory solution which can serve as a Christian example to the rest of the country?


asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government if his attention has been drawn to the eviction of the 100 settlers from the gypsy encampment at Dudley, Worcestershire, on 27th March, who were escorted by the police over the borough boundary; and what provision is being made for them to find a sanctuary to avoid their coming in permanent conflict with the law.

My attention had not previously been called to this matter, but I have made inquiries. I understand that as a result of complaints from local inhabitants a number of caravans moved out of the borough. According to the information supplied to me by the borough council, they have had little difficulty in finding other sites.

Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that a number of them have communicated with me that they are now being chased from borough to borough and that the Brierley Hill local authority say they will not be allowed to remain within their boundaries? As there are children amongst this group of gypsies who are denied the right of going to school, is it not time that something was done so that they may have a sanctuary, as other people have?

That is really another question, but I should hardly have thought that a borough was the best place for gypsy caravans.

Can we have an assurance that none of those gypsies is a Tory displaced from a county council?