Skip to main content

Rural Water Supplies

Volume 498: debated on Wednesday 9 April 1952

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government whether a scheme for the provision of a water supply for Bwlch, Breconshire, had now been made; what agreement was arrived at between the Brecon and Crickhowell rural district councils; and how many joint meetings have taken place.

It is understood that agreement has now been reached in principle for Brecknock Rural District Council to afford a supply of water in bulk to the Crickhowell Rural District Council for distribution to the village of Bwlch. This bulk supply will be dependent on the Brecknock Rural District Council's comprehensive water supply scheme on which work is expected to commence in the autumn subject to the necessary steel being available. It is not known how many joint meetings have taken place.

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government what control he exercises, under his regulations, over the cost of new water supplies to farms; and what opportunity is afforded to potential users to appeal to him against an estimate for supply which they consider excessive.

Statutory water undertakers who desire to construct schemes of public water supply must submit their proposals for my authorisation. The cost of distributing water on farms is a matter for the owners. In suitable cases, grants towards the cost of farm water supply schemes may be obtained under arrangements for which my right hon. Friend the Minister of Agriculture is responsible. There is consultation between the two Departments before schemes with an agricultural element are approved.Where public supplies are wanted for non-domestic purposes, statutory water undertakers may be required by Section 27 of the Water Act, 1945, to give supplies on reasonable terms and conditions, subject to safeguards for existing consumers for domestic supplies in general. Any dispute as to terms and conditions may, in default of agreement, be referred to me for determination.If public supplies are wanted for domestic purposes, an owner or occupier of premises within the limits of supply of the undertakers who has complied in respect of those premises with the relevant statutory provisions relating to the laying of a supply pipe and on tendering in advance the water rate payable, is entitled to demand and receive a supply of water sufficient for the domestic purposes of those premises.