Skip to main content

Clyde Tunnel (Shields)

Volume 529: debated on Wednesday 7 July 1954

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

49.

asked the Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation if he will now name the date for starting the Lint-house-Whiteinch Tunnel.

I would refer the hon. Member to the answer which my right hon. Friend gave him on 30th June.

Is the Minister aware that the answer is quite unsatisfactory and insufficient? Can he tell us why he is still holding up the ratification of permission to proceed now that he has the estimate? What prevents him from giving the Glasgow Corporation permission to proceed with the tunnel?

My right hon. Friend intimated last week that he would not be in a position to make any further statement on this matter until he had discussed it with the Glasgow Corporation, and the hon. Member will not obtain any further information until my right hon. Friend has had that discussion.

On a point of order. Questions are put to the Minister in the House on matters for which the House is responsible financially to the extent of 75 per cent. Is it not right, therefore, that we should have an answer and that the answer should not be referred to an outside body?

The Minister said that he would give an answer and told the hon. Member that there was no information until then. The hon. Member asked a very long supplementary question.

The Minister previously told me that he would give an answer when he had the estimates from Glasgow, but now that he has them he still does not give an answer.