Skip to main content

Highway And Traffic Engineers (Training Courses)

Volume 648: debated on Wednesday 8 November 1961

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Minister of Transport what facilities exist in the United Kingdom to train highway and traffic engineers.

All University courses in civil engineering include some instruction in highway engineering. The degree courses of the following universities also include some traffic engineering:

  • Birmingham.
  • Durham.
  • Leeds.
  • London (King's, Queen Mary and University Colleges).
  • Manchester.
Post-graduate courses specialising in highway and traffic engineering are available at:

  • Birmingham University.
  • Durham University (King's College, Newcastle).
  • London University (University College). Royal College of Science and Technology,
  • Glasgow.

Evening courses in traffic engineering are also available at:

  • Westminster Technical College, London.
  • Northampton College, London.
  • Hatfield Technical College.
  • Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow (Post-graduate).

In addition to these facilities, short courses in traffic engineering are provided by the Road Research Laboratory and by the West Ham Technical College. From time to time other short courses and seminars are organised by such bodies as the University of Glasgow and the Institution of Municipal and County Engineers.