Skip to main content


Volume 886: debated on Wednesday 19 February 1975

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what grant, if any, is made to the representatives of a deceased person for the purpose of defraying the cost of transport of the body from the hospital to the burial place, in cases where the dead person was sent for treatment from home or from a local hospital to a distant hospital, given that, had the person lived, the cost of return home or to the local hospital would have been borne by the National Health Service.

Health authorities in England and Wales may meet such costs in suitable circumstances. I am sending the hon. Member a copy of my Department's guidance to authorities on the subject.