Skip to main content

Bomb Damage Compensation

Volume 886: debated on Thursday 20 February 1975

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will review the basis of compensation for bomb damage to property in order to bring about a greater degree of parity between the various regions of the United Kingdom.

No. Compensation for bomb damage to property is available in Northern Ireland under the Criminal Injuries to Property (Compensation) Act 1971 because of the quite exceptional circumstances that have existed in that Province. Elsewhere in the United Kingdom owners are able to obtain insurance cover for their property in the normal way to the extent that they consider necessary, and I do not consider that Government intervention in these arrangements is at present justified.