asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if she will draw up emergency plans to deal with the situation that will arise following the planned withdrawal from the NHS by doctors in Wessex in the event of their present requests not being met.
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if she will make a statement on the latest position as regards her negotiations with the hospital consultants.
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what progress has been made in bringing the hospital consultants' work to contract to an end.
In my statement of 17th February—[Vol. 886, c. 909–16.]—I told the House how the situation on the consultants' dispute then stood. Their representatives have now considered my letter of 11th February and have asked to see my right hon. Friend the Prime Minister. A copy of their letter to him and his reply has been placed in the Library. Meanwhile the consultants' disruption of the NHS is continuing.The general practitioners' representatives decided to await the completion of the current review of their remuneration before deciding whether to take comparable action, and I have nothing to add on their position at this stage.