Skip to main content

Child Care Costs

Volume 887: debated on Friday 7 March 1975

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what is the maximum amount a local authority can recover from a parent of ample means towards the expense of keeping the parents' child in the care of the local authority.

Section 62(4) of the Children and Young Persons Act 1969 provides that the maximum contribution a parent can be required to make in respect of a child in care is the amount the local authority would itself be prepared to pay if a child of the same age were boarded out with foster parents. This amount varies with each local authority because local authorities are free to determine their own scales of boarding out allowances.