Skip to main content


Volume 888: debated on Monday 10 March 1975

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Energy what information he has as to research being currently conducted in the universities with regard to production of energy; what research from universities or other sources is now available to him; and if he will make a statement.

I am regularly informed of such research, the latest information being in the Report, "Energy Research—The Research Council's Contribution ", prepared in September 1974 by the Committee on Energy Research of the Advisory Board for the Research Councils of which my Chief Scientist is a member. I am sending the hon. Member a copy. Results of publicly-sponsored research at universities or elsewhere become available to my Department through formal and informal contacts. My Chief Scientist has set up and chairs a Committee of Chief Scientists on Energy Research and Development, consisting of the Chief Scientists of Government Departments with representatives of the Science Research Council and the Natural Environment Research Council, for the purpose of interchange and co-ordination of energy research sponsored directly by Whitehall Departments. Information about research in the nationalised energy industries and the UKAEA is given to me on a regular formal basis by the organisations concerned.