asked the Secretary of State for Energy if he will list the discretionary powers vested in him (a) to provide financial or non-financial assistance in any form to industrial or commercial undertakings, and (b) to permit the physical or material development of such undertakings, indicating in each case the legislation under which those powers may be exercised.
I have the following discretionary powers as regards the private sector:
- Ministry of Fuel and Power Act 1945
- To promote economy in the supply, distribution, use and consumption of fuel and power.
- Science and Technology Act 1965
- To provide financial assistance for research and development.
- Nuclear Installations Act 1965
- To reimburse specified bodies corporate for expenses incurred in complying with directions under security provisions orders.
- Atomic Energy Authority Act 1971
- To reimburse security costs of companies formed in connection with centrifuge collaboration.
- Local Employment Act 1972
- To make grants or loans towards the cost of improving electricity or gas services in development and intermediate areas.
- Industry Act 1972
- To give selective assistance in appropriate cases.
- Coal Industry Act 1973
- To make grants to producers of coking coal used in blast furnaces.
- Offshore Petroleum Development (Scotland) Act 1975
- To provide financial assistance in connection with oil-heated developments.