asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will list the members of the Advisory Council on the Penal System, and their qualifications and experience.
Mr. Roy Jenkins
A list of the members follows:
- The Rt. Hon. Sir Kenneth Younger, KBE—Chairman of the Advisory Council since 1966.
- Professor Sir Arthur Armitage—Vice-Chancellor of the Victoria University of Manchester and Professor of Common Law; currently Chairman of the Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals.
- Mr. A. Bainton, CBE—Formerly Controller of Operations in the Prison Department of the Home Office.
- Mr. Louis Blom-Cooper, QC—Barrister; Justice of the Peace; Chairman of the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- Mr. A. Goodson, QPM—Chief Constable of Leicestershire.
- Mr. Derek Gladwin—Southern Regional Secretary of the General and Municipal Workers' Union; Justice of the Peace.
- Mr. Milton Hargreaves—Clerk to the South Bedfordshire Justices and currently President of the Justices' Clerks' Society.
- His Honour Judge Hines, QC—Circuit Judge at the Central Criminal Court.
- The Rt. Hon. the Earl Jellicoe, DSO MC—Formerly Lord Privy Seal and Minister of State, Home Office.
- Mr. R. J. Lowry, QC—Barrister and Recorder.
- The Lady Rothschild, MBE—Justice of the Peace.
- Mr. Hugh Sanders, OBE—Chief Probation Officer of South Yorkshire.
- Dr. Peter Scott, CBE—Consultant Physician and Forensic Psychiatrist; member of the Parole Board.
- The Baroness Serota of Hampstead—Formerly Minister of State, Department of Health and Social Security; Justice of the Peace.
- Mr. W. R. Stirling—Principal of the Bingley College of Education, South Yorkshire.
- Dr. Nigel Walker—Wolfson Professor of Criminology at University of Cambridge; Chairman of the Advisory Council for Probation and After-Care.
- Mr. Justice Waller, OBE—High Court Judge; former member of the Parole Board.
- The Baroness Wootton of Abinger— Formerly Professor of Social Studies in the University of London.