asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if she is now able to announce further details of her inquiry into mental handicap nursing and care.
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what study she has made of the Briggs Report on the care of the mentally handicapped; what plans she now has for implementing the report; and if she will make a statement.
A committee to inquire into the nursing and care of the mentally handicapped has been appointed with the following terms of reference:
In addition to the Chairman, Mrs. Peggy Jay, whose appointment has already been announced, I have appointed the following members:"To consider recommendation 74 of the Report of the Committee on Nursing (Briggs Committee), in particular to enquire into the nursing and care of the mentally handicapped in the light of developing policies, to examine the roles and aims of nurses and residential care staff required by the health and personal social services for the care of mentally handicapped adults and children; the interrelationship between them and other health and personal social services staff; how existing staff can best fulfil these rôles and aims; in the interest of making the best use of available skills and experience, the possibilities of the career movement of staff from one sector or category to another; the implications for recruitment and training; and to make recommendations".
- Mr. N. Bosanquet, Economic Consultant Lecturer, Kings Fund College.
- Mr. J. B. Cottrell, Principal Nursing Officer, Hensol Castle Hospital, Mid Glamorgan.
- Miss M. Faulds, Formerly Director of Social Work, Inverness County.
- Mr. A. Hunt, Director of Social Services, Hampshire.
- Dr. G. Kerr, Consultant Psychiatrist, Dovenby Hall Hospital, Cumbria.
- Mr. N. Lees, Area Nursing Officer, Derbyshire Area Health Authority.
- Mr. H. McCrce, District Nursing Officer, Winchester & Central Hampshire Health District.
- Councillor W. Merritt, Vice Chairman, Social Services Committee, Association of Metropolitan Authorities.
- Mrs. B. Nicolas, Education Officer, General Nursing Council.
- Mr. R. Olsen, Lecturer in Social Work, University of North Wales.
- Dr. D. Ricks, Consultant Psychiatrist, Harperbury Hospital, Hertfordshire.
- Dr. D. Thomas, Principal Psychologist, Northgate and District Hospital, Northumberland.
- Mr. D. O. Williams, Chairman of the Staff Side of the General Whitley Council for the Health Services.
- Mrs. J. M. Williams, Staff Tutor in Social Studies, University of Birmingham.
- Mr. D. Williamson, Nurse Tutor, Lennox Castle Hospital, Scotland.
- Miss P. Young, Director, Central Council for Education and Training in Social Work.
One further member has yet to be appointed.
The committee expects to hold its first meeting today, Thursday 17th July.