Skip to main content

Child Benefit

Volume 931: debated on Saturday 5 March 1977

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will indicate the circumstances in which child benefit is payable in respect of children resident ouside the United Kingdom.

Child benefit is generally only payable in respect of children resident outside Great Britain if their absence is intended to be temporary, that is:

  • i. if it does not exceed 26 weeks; or
  • ii. is for the purpose of receiving full-time education at a recognised educational establishment and the period has not exceeded 156 weeks; or
  • iii. is for the purpose of medical treatment for a condition which commenced before the child left Great Britain.
  • Child benefit may also be payable under EEC arrangements and reciprocal agreements with other countries.