Skip to main content

Unemployment Benefit (School Leavers)

Volume 932: debated on Thursday 26 May 1977

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what benefits are paid to unemployed school leavers in each of the EEC member States, Sweden, the USA and Canada.

Apart from training allowances, two kinds of benefit are provided for unemployed persons in the countries mentioned—unemployment benefit and means-tested social assistance. In the United Kingdom unemployment benefit is payable only to persons who have previously been in employment and, according to the information available to me, this also appears to be the situation in each of the other countries, except Belgium. In the latter, an unemployed school leaver with certain educational qualifications may receive unemployment benefit after 75 days of unemployment. An unemployed school leaver in the United Kingdom can claim social assistance in the form of supplementary benefit; the rate payable depends on his circumstances. Payment of social assistance in the other countries is, in general, administered locally and is subject to local rules and conditions.