Skip to main content

Pay Settlements (Public Sector)

Volume 932: debated on Thursday 26 May 1977

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he will list the groups of public sector employees in whose pay settlements his Department is involved; whether these settlements are at national or local level; which of these settlements are usually influenced by the findings of the Pay Research Unit, and how; and what was the percentage increase in the earnings of each group in 1974, 1975 and 1976.

As I stated in my reply to the hon. Member's question on 10th December last, I exercise no statutory control over pay settlements in local government. This applies also to the water industry and the British Waterways Board. Pay settlements for staff at senior levels in new town development corporations and the Housing Corporation are negotiated nationally and usually have regard to the findings of the Pay Research Unit (below senior levels the pay of staff in these bodies is linked with local government scales). Non-industrial staff in the following bodies also have civil service pay links. Settlements are negotiated nationally and here also awards require my Department's approval:—

  • Agrément Board
  • Centre for Environmental Studies
  • Development Commission
  • Location of Offices Bureau
  • National Building Agency
  • National Conservancy Council
  • Sports Council
It is not possible to give percentage increases in the earnings of each group in 1974, 1975 and 1976 since awards in those years took various forms.