Skip to main content


Volume 949: debated on Tuesday 2 May 1978

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will make a statement about charging for aids to assist those suffering from incontinence (a) where they live in their own homes, (b) where they live in local authority accommodation, and (c) where they are in private nursing homes; and if there is any difference between the facilities afforded according to accommodation, if he will explain the reasons for this.

Incontinence aids may be supplied to people living in their own homes through area health authorities or local authority social services departments, depending on local arrangements. Area health authorities cannot charge for the supply of such aids, but local authorities have statutory power to make a charge if they so decide.People living in local authority residential accommodation contribute towards the cost of their accommodation and this covers any services that the local authority provide as part of their care.Treatment provided by private nursing homes would normally include any necessary nursing services and equipment. The cost would be covered by the fees or charges paid to the home by or on behalf of the residents.