Skip to main content

Diplomatic Service Staff (Children's Education Allowance)

Volume 951: debated on Friday 9 June 1978

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs if he will publish in the Official Report the circumstances under which Foreign and Commonwealth Office employees receive allowances for the education of their children when they are stationed in the United Kingdom.

Diplomatic Service staff stationed in the United Kingdom are entitled to an allowance for the education of their children at boarding schools in this country, provided they have served abroad and remain committed to further overseas service. The allowance is paid for a maximum of five years after an officer returns to this country—the average home posting lasts approximately three years—except in rare cases where an officer is retained in a home post for a short time beyond five years for essential operational reasons. If staff have not already served abroad, the allowance may be paid for the school term during which they are posted.