asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science (1) if she will list the members who represented her Department on the working party which produced circular 16/78 "The Development of Sporting Talent in Children of School Age";(2) what consultations took place between her Department and teachers of physical education through their professional body the Physical Education Association before circular 16/78 "The Development of Sporting Talent in Children of School Age" was produced.
Circular 16/78 was issued jointly by my Department, Department of the Environment and the Welsh Office to convey the findings of a specialist working party established by the Minister responsible for sport and recreation. Its members were:
- Miss E. G. Pollard, HMI (Staff inspector for physical education)
- Mr. P. MacGregor (Director of Recreation, City of Coventry)
- Mr. C. Sayer (Co-ordinator of Technical Services, Sports Council)
- Mr. W. Slater (Director of Physical Education, University of Birmingham)
- Dr. V. Thomas (Director of Physical Education, Liverpool Polytechnic).