Skip to main content


Volume 976: debated on Tuesday 20 November 1979

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.


asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what guidelines on giving grants to those who have gained a place on a higher or further education course are given by his Department to local education authorities.

My Department issues guidance to local education authorities relating to mandatory awards, which are governed by statutory regulations made by my right hon. and learned Friend. Other awards are made by local education authorities at their own discretion and it would not, therefore, be appropriate for my right hon. and learned Friend to issue detailed guidance.