Skip to main content

Child Benefit

Volume 977: debated on Wednesday 30 January 1980

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services whether child benefit is payable on behalf of the children of immigrants where the children are resident in the Indian Sub-continent; and, if not, what action is taken to ensure that where claims are made for child benefit the children are actually resident in the United Kingdom.

No. In accordance with the Child Benefit Act, the children must be in Great Britain. The claim form requires claimants to identify where the children for whom they are claiming are living. Claims for children who are not living with the claimants are subject to further inquiries, for example, as to the children's whereabouts, before award of benefit is considered.

data given in answer to the hon. Member for Kensington (Sir B. Rhys Williams), Official Report, 20 December 1979, c. 365–6, presenting the number of children in large families as a percentage of all poor children in each group.