asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will list the members and terms of reference of the Committee on Safety of Medicines; what are the aims and objectives of the committee; what is the committee's programme of work; and if he will make a statement.
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if the Committee on Safety of Medicines considers the efficacy as well as the safety of drugs before it issues a product licence.
[pursuant to his reply, 17 March 1980]: The aims and objectives of the Committee on Safety of Medicines are set out in its terms of reference, which are:
"To give advice with respect to safety, quality and efficacy, in relation to human use, of any substance or article (not being an instrument, apparatus or appliance) to which any provision of the Medicines Act 1968 is applicable.
The following are members of the committee:To promote the collection and investigation of information relating to adverse reactions for the purpose of enabling such advice to be given."
- Professor Sir Eric Scowen—Chairman, Emeritus Professor of Medicine St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
- Professor A. Goldberg—Regius Professor of Medicine University of Glasgow (Chairman Designate).
- Professor W. I. Cranston—Professor of Medicine St. Thomas' Hospital Medical School.
- Professor J. Crooks—Professor of Pharmacology and Therapeutics University of Dundee.
- W. M. Darling Esq. OBE—General Practice Pharmacist, Chairman South Tyneside Area Health Authority.
- Professor J. W. Dundee—Professor of Anaesthetics Queens University Belfast.
- Professor P. H. Elworthy—Professor of Pharmacy University of Manchester.
- Dr. F. Fish—Dean of School of Pharmacy University of London.
- Professor R. H. Girdwood—Professor of Therapeutics and Clinical Pharmacology University of Edinburgh.
- Professor D. G. Grahame-Smith—Rhodes Professor of Clinical Pharmacology University of Oxford, Hon. Director of MRC Unit of Clinical Pharmacology.
- Professor B. M. Hibbard—Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology The Welsh National School of Medicine.
- Dr. J. M. Holt,—Consultant physician John Radcliffe Hospital Oxford, Director of Clinical Studies Oxford University.
- Professor F. A. Jenner—Professor of Psychiatry University of Sheffield, Director of the MRC Unit for Metabolic Studies in Psychiatry.
- Professor June K. Lloyd—Professor of Child Health St. George's Hospital Medical School.
- Professor D. V. W. Parke—Professor of Biochemistry University of Surrey.
- Professor M. D. Rawlins—Professor of Clinical Pharmacology University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Professor A. E. A. Read—Professor of Medicine University of Bristol
- Dr. Margot H. J. Richards—General Practitioner Cardiff.
- Dr. J. W. G. Smith—Director National Institute for Biological Standards and Control
- Professor H. K. Weinbren—Professor of Pathology Royal Postgraduate Medical School Hammersmith Hospital.
The Committee normally meets every month to consider applications for product licences and clinical trial ceritficates and other matters which are referred to it by the licensing authority.