Skip to main content

Children (Unlawful Removal Abroad)

Volume 981: debated on Thursday 27 March 1980

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Lord Privy Seal what help his Department can provide in recovering children removed abroad by a parent.

The only help we can offer is to try to obtain a welfare report on the child from the local authorities in the area concerned. Any question of the custody of such a child is a matter which can only be decided by the courts of the country where the child is present. The return of the child to a parent in this country can be pursued only through legal channels.