Skip to main content

Teenagers In Care

Volume 982: debated on Tuesday 1 April 1980

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) what accommodation is available for children who leave the care of local authorities on reaching the age of 18 years; if he is satisfied that there is adequate accommodation available in the areas that need it; and what plans he has to increase the supply;(2) what statutory duties there are on local authorities to provide accommodation for those teenagers who leave the care of local authorities on reaching 18 years of age;(3) if he will conduct a survey into the housing problems faced by teenagers on leaving the care of local authorities at 18 years of age.

Local housing authorities are under a duty to consider the housing needs of their area. Both housing and social services authorities have wide powers to provide or secure the provision of accommodation whether in hostels or in other suitable ways, in the light of their assessment of local circumstances. My right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Social Services proposes to finance a project which will involve an examination of the housing and other problems of teenagers leaving care.