Skip to main content

Disruptive Students (Withdrawal Of Grants)

Volume 982: debated on Wednesday 2 April 1980

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he will issue a circular to local education authorities advising them to withdraw grants from students disrupting the education of other students by occupation of university or polytechnic property.

No. Internal discipline is a matter for the establishment concerned. Local education authorities are already required under the local education authority awards regulations 1979 to reduce a student's award in respect of any period during which the academic authority have excluded the student from his course; and may, after consultation with the academic authority, terminate an award on grounds of unsatisfactory conduct.