Skip to main content

Offences By Minors (Parental Responsibility)

Volume 983: debated on Wednesday 23 April 1980

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will take steps to make it easier for persons whose property is damaged or destroyed by minors to recover damages awarded as a result of compensation orders or through civil actions by means of attachment orders on the earnings of the parents.

There is already power in criminal proceedings for the courts to make an attachment of earnings order against a parent or guardian whom the court has ordered to be responsible for the payment of compensation for damage caused by a juvenile. The recovery of damages awarded as a result of a civil action is a matter for my noble and learned Friend the Lord Chancellor.