Skip to main content

Home And Overseas Students (Definition)

Volume 983: debated on Friday 25 April 1980

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what changes he has made in the definitions of home and overseas students; and if he will define the phrase " ordinarily resident " for these purposes.

At present a student is expected to pay the overseas rate of tuition fee if he has neither been resident nor ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom for three years before the start of his course. If the student has, within the 12 months preceding the start of his course, attended an advanced course in the United Kingdom, the three-year period is reckoned back from the start of that course. There will be no change in these rules for students already on courses, but students starting new courses on or after 1 September 1980 will be classified as home students only if they have been ordinarily resident for three years prior to the start of their course. It is not possible to give a definitive definition of the term " ordinarily resident " since the question whether a person is ordinarily resident in a particular place could involve a wide variety of factors. In simple terms, however, it can be said that a person is " ordinarily resident " in a place if his home is there.