asked the Secretary of State for the Environment, pursuant to his reply to the hon. Member for Brent, South (Mr. Pavitt) on 26 October, if he is yet in a position to reimburse the London borough of Brent the £611,000 grant he withdrew for 1981–82.
I have written to the right hon. Member explaining that my Department has now written to the London borough of Brent and the other authorities whose grant was reduced inviting them to make further representations if they wish to do so, as the court indicated. It is clearly in the interests of all parties that if neither side to the High Court case appeals I should be able to proceed to a new decision as soon as possible. We have therefore asked for any fresh representation to be submitted by 4 December if possible.I consider that it would be best that any question of additional grant should be held over until any appeal has been decided, or until all parties have agreed not to appeal and I have taken a new decision in this matter.