Skip to main content

Resettlement Units

Volume 14: debated on Thursday 3 December 1981

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services whether he is taking any steps to make arrangements with the respective local housing authorities for persons without a settled way of living who reside temporarily in resettlement units, provided directly or indirectly by his Department, to enable them to secure access to a local authority tenancy, in the case of the following resettlement units: West End House, London W1, Sittingbourne, Kent, Alvaston, Derby, Southampton, Brighton, Sussex and Woodhouse, Sheffield.

My right hon. Friend has no responsibility for finding permanent accommodation for people temporarily accommodated in resettlement units. However, staff are encouraged to be as helpful as possible in assisting users of resettlement units to find such accommodation. Managers of individual units are encouraged to make arrangements with local authorities to assist users to secure local authority tenancies where possible, but this must primarily be a matter for decision by the local authority concerned.