asked the Secretary of State for the Environment (1) what is the total average of Government direct and indirect expenditure per annum on enterprise zones; how many new firms now operate in such zones; and how many jobs have so far been created;(2) by what percentage, in real terms, rate revenues from enterprise zones have risen since 1980;(3) by what percentage, in real terms, rate revenues have risen annually since 1980 in areas
(a) inside and (b) outside enterprise zones.
The only enterprise zone measure for which the expenditure borne by central Government can be stated precisely is the exemption from rates. The cost of this (at outturn prices) has been:
- 1981–82 £3,508,770 (seven zones).
- 1982–83 £8,069,839 (eight zones).
- 1983–84 £10,377,343 (seventeen zones).
- 1984–85 £5,837,863 (advance payments as at July 1984) (seventeen zones).
- Final figures for 1984–85 are not yet available.
|Percentage over previous year (at constant prices)|