Skip to main content

Residential Hostels

Volume 77: debated on Monday 15 April 1985

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Prime Minister which Department is primarily responsible for the funding of voluntary residential hostels for single homeless alcoholics, drug addicts, ex-offenders and former psychiatric patients.

In so far as hostels and other forms of shared housing for the single homeless and other groups with special needs are provided by housing associations registered with the Housing Corporation in England, the Department of the Environment is primarily responsible for capital funding, and for revenue support where this is necessary in relation to housing management costs. According to the client group, housing associations may seek further assistance with revenue costs from other sources including local health and social services authorities and the Home Office. Hostels are also provided by other voluntary organisations which do not receive any support from Exchequer funds.