asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether he will publish in the Official Report a table showing for each member state of the European Economic Community the contribution under value added tax and
|VAT and other Own Resources as percentage of GDP|
1. For value added tax columns the calculation of the percentage of GDP used the amount contributed by member states, inclusive of the balances and adjustments of previous financial years.
2. Greece joined the Community on 1 January 1981 and for the years 1981 to 1985 will pay instead of VAT a financial contribution based on GNP.
3. From 1979 to 1980 the European budget was established and implemented in European units of account. As from 1981 the budget was established and implemented in European currency units. For 1981 the value and composition of the ECU was the same as the EUA.
4. GDP base figures—non-UK GDP figures for the years 1980 to 1984 taken from OECD "Main Economic Indicators" (April 1985). These figures were converted to EUA/ECU equivalents using exchange rates averaged for the years in question. The difference in the value of the exchange rates used to define the GDP and VAT/other own resources data from the base figures has been left out of account. For 1985 non-UK GDP figures are Commission estimates derived from "European Economy". UK figures for all years to 1984 are from Central Statistical Office documents. 1985 UK figures are derived from "European Economy".
5. VAT and other own resources base figures—for the years 1980 to 1983 the amounts are taken from the Official Journal of the European Communities —Courtof Auditors report for the financial year 1983. For 1984 other own resources are from the European Commission's budget revenue estimates; for VAT the figures are taken from the supplementary and amending budget for 1984. For 1985 the figures are established in Council on 23 April 1985.