Skip to main content


Volume 79: debated on Monday 20 May 1985

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will list in the Official Report all the different types of licences operated or granted by his Department and the year in which they first came into operation.

Licences currently operated or granted by my Department relate to:

(a) the keeping and use of radioactive material and disposal or accumulation of radioactive waste.Radioactive Substances Act 1960
(b) the impounding and abstraction of water (applications called in for the Secretary of State's decision)Water Resources Act 1963
(c) caravanning activities by special organisationsCaravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1976
(d) the protection of birds, animals and plantsWildlife and Countryside Act 1981
(e) the control of traffic in animals and plantsEndangered Species (Export and Import) Act 1976 (as amended)
In addition the Department, or the PSA in its responsibility for managing the Civil and Defence estate, issue various licences and other approvals to individuals and organisations managing facilities or making occasional or temporary use of Government land and buildings and royal palaces and parks (for recreational purposes, filming, meetings, agricultural grazing etc.). Also certain firms are licensed to sell in the open market items made to the design and specification of the Crown Suppliers, subject to the payment of royalties.