asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what percentage of physical science graduates from universities and polytechnics have opted to undertake teacher training over the past five years; and how this percentage is changing.
Figures for the most recent five-year span and in the most readily available form are as follows:
|Graduates in Biological and Physical Sciences: England and Wales|
|Numbers graduating (1)||Numbers entering Teacher training (2)||(2) as percentage of (1) in previous year|
1. Biological and physical sciences include all natural sciences and mathematics. Graduates from public sector colleges validated by universities are excluded.
2. Columns 1 and 2 include graduates from FE institutions other than polytechnics (who cannot be separately distinguished).
3. All figures relate to home students only.
4. Column 1 figures relate to students awarded their degree at the end of the appropriate year; column 2 figures relate to those on the first year of their course in the subsequent academic year.
5. All figures have been rounded to the nearest 10.