asked the Secretary of State for Social Services (1) if he will list all research studies available to him on National Health Service catering;(2) what study his Department has made, or has available to it, on the efficiency of National Health Service catering.
There is a large amount of information available on various aspects of National Health Service catering, including efficiency, much of which is distributed to health authorities by the Department in Health Service catering bulletins. In addition the following studies have been separately identified:
- Hospital Meal Survey—A joint DHSS/Leeds University study. 1979.
- Energy Conservation in Kitchens — A joint DHSS/NHS investigation into energy losses in hospital service departments. July 1982.
- Procurement of Breakfast Cereals—Health Service Supply Council Paper. October 1984.
- Scrutiny Report into Cost of NHS Catering—Issued February 1985.
- Hospital Building Note No. 10—DHSS publication providing guidance for designing and equipping Health Service Catering Departments. May 1985.
- Report on Food Procurement — Health Service Supply Council. 1985.
- Research Study: Meat and Meat Products in the NHS—Conducted by the Health Service Supply Council and issued in August 1985.