asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he will list the number of students in the United Kingdom who have passed the master of business administration examination during the last 10 years; if he will list those business schools which offer full or full and part-time master of business administration courses; what measures the Government are taking to encourage this course; and if he will make a statement.
The facts are set out in the tables below. The Government are keen to ensure that institutions providing post-graduate management education are more responsive to the needs of industry and commerce. The Department of Education and Science is contributing, with the Department of Trade and Industry, towards the cost of a study of management education sponsored by the British Institute of Management and the Confederation of British Industry. The purpose of this study is to obtain the views of companies and individuals on the quality or provision for business and management studies in higher education and on ways in which it might be improved. The project will provide market research on a number of issues, including the scope for increasing the amount of private sector funding for post-graduate and post-experience courses.
|Students awarded masters degrees in business or management studies by universities in the United Kingdom|
1. Figures include students warded MBA degrees for which information is not separately available.
2. Figures exclude 78 students awarded MBA degrees by the Council for National Academic Awards since 1983.
Institutions offering MBA courses in 1985–86:
- Aston University
- Queens University, Belfast
- Birmingham University
- Bradford University
- Brunel University
- Central London Polytechnic
- City University
- Cranfield Institute of Advanced Technology
- Edinburgh University
- Glasgow University
- Leeds University
- Leicester Polytechnic
- Manchester University
- Middlesex Polytechnic
- North-East London Polytechnic
- Newcastle University
- Sheffield University
- Sheffield City Polytechnic
- Strathclyde University
- Ulster University
- University of Wales
- Institute Science & Technology
- Warwick University
1. The London Business School offers a similar Course in Business Studies. Leading to the degree of Master of Science from the University of London.