asked the Prime Minister if she will announce the composition of the United Kingdom delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe.
The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe will be meeting in Strasbourg from. 4–8 May. I have appointed 18 delegates from the Parliament of the United Kingdom. The delegation this year will consist of 12 members of the Conservative party, five members of the Labour party and one member of the Liberal party. I have also appointed a number of substitute delegates.The appointments of representatives and substitutes have been made on the basis of nominations by the Leaders of those parties concerned.The same delegation will be representing the United Kingdom Parliament at the Assembly of the Western European Union.Representatives from the Government Benches will be:The right hon. Member for Torbay (Sir F. Bennett), who will act as leader.The hon. Members for
- Hampstead and Highgate (Sir G. Finsberg)
- Cambridgeshire, South-West (Sir A. Grant)
- Norfolk, South-West (Sir P. Hawkins)
- Southampton, Test (Mr. Hill)
- Twickenham (Mr. Jessel)
- Birmingham, Edgbaston (Dame J. Knight)
- Sheffield, Hallam (Sir J. Osborn)
- Harrow, West (Sir J. Page)
- Warwick and Leamington (Sir D. Smith)
- Ruislip-Northwood (Mr. 'Wilkinson)
- and the Earl of Kinnoull.
Representatives from the Labour party will be:
The hon. Members for
- Neath (Mr. Coleman)
- Wallsend (Mr. Garrett)
- Wentworth (Mr. Hardy)
- East Kilbride (Dr. Miller)
- and the Lord Hughes.
Representatives from the Liberal party will be:
The hon. Member for
- Isle of Wight(Mr. Ross)
The following substitutes have been appointed to act as necessary on behalf of the delegates.
From the Government Benches:
The right hon. and learned Member for
- Dover (Mr. Rees)
The hon. Members for:
- Cunninghame, North (Mr. Corrie)
- Northampton, South (Mr. Morris)
- Welwyn Hatfield (Mr. Murphy)
- Halesowen and Stourbridge (Mr. Stokes)
- Cardiff, West (Mr. Terlezki)
- Poole (Mr. Ward)
- The Lord Newall and the Lord Rodney.
From the Labour party:
The right hon. Members for Brent, East (Mr. Freeson) Glasgow, Govan (Mr. Millan)
The hon. Members for
- Newcastle upon Tyne, North (Mr. Brown)
- Tooting (Mr. Cox)
- Wolverhampton, South-East (Mr. Edwards)
- Makerfield (Mr. McGuire)
- Liverpool, Riverside (Mr. Parry)
- Hemsworth (Mr. Woodall)
From the Liberal party:
The Lord Mackie.