To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will publish a table similar to that on page 34 of the "Scottish Economic Bulletin No. 35" showing expenditure on regional preferential assistance to industry in Scotland for each year since 1976–77 at (a) cash and (b) constant 1986–87 prices.
Gross expenditure on regional preferential assistance in Scotland for each year since 1976–77 at cash and constant 1986–87 prices is given in the table.
1. From 1982–83, expenditure outside Assisted Areas, on land and factory building under the Scottish Development Agency Act has been excluded.
2. The Scottish Tourist Board took over responsibility for loans to small tourist enterprises in August 1982. Loans are now available in non-assisted areas also and the scheme is therefore no longer regarded as part of Regional Preferential Assistance (RPA).
3. RSA is provided under the Industrial Development Act 1982 and its predecessors.
4. HIDB loans and equity are classed as non-preferential as these are deemed to be similar to non-preferential assistance outside the HIDB area.
5. HIDB expenditure on land and factory building prior to 1977–78 is not separately identifiable.
6. Assistance under the Development of Tourism Act 1969, Section 4 was extended to non-assisted areas in August 1982 and is therefore no longer regarded as part of RPA.
7. Small Firms Employment Subsidy was ended in March 1980.
8. The 1979–80 total for Small Firms Employment Subsidy excludes estimated non-regionally preferential payments.
Expenditure on regional preferential assistance to industry in Scotland
Fiscal year (at constant 1986–87 prices)
|Local Employment Act:|
|Scottish Development Agency Act:|
|Land and factory building||23·3||40·1||54·1||62·9||66·4||70·5||55·4||49·7||25·5||24·5||20·2|
|Loans to small tourist enterprises||—||—||0·2||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Regional Selective Assistance||31·7||41·5||28·9||29·7||31·3||25·1||24·1||28·2||34·7||49·6||35·4|
|Regional Development Grants||265·4||226·1||208·8||116·9||159·1||182·5||342·7||163·1||119·4||110·7||170·2|
|Highlands and Islands Development Board:|
|Land and factory building||—||1·7||3·9||6·5||6·9||6·1||8·2||6·2||11·9||5·0||3·0|
|Tourism (Development of Tourism Act 1969 Section 4)||1·7||2·2||2·5||2·7||2·7||2·6||—||—||—||—||—|
|Regional Employment Premium||193·3||3·2||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Small Firms Employment Subsidy||—||1·5||2·9||12·3||2·8||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Total gross expenditure||524·7||323·2||309·3||238·7||278·2||295·8||440·8||260·8||204·6||202·9||241·6|