To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Science how the Government's support to the Workers Educational Association is calculated; and if he will make provison to protect this funding in areas where high unemployment affects fee income.
The Department's grant provided for the Workers Educational Association districts in the current academic year totals £2,496,900. This represents the grant allocated initially for 1986–87 increased to take account of anticipated changes in costs. It is allocated to individual districts on the following basis:
- Witte-Boyd Holdings (SWB Fishing Limited)
- Caley International Limited (Stancal)
- Berkeley Sound Shipping Company (Stankor)
- Auscot Limited (Fortuna Limited)
- Seaboard Offshore (Seamount Limited)
- Hughes Group
- International Fisheries Investment Limited
- Fishing Explorer Limited
A copy of the Falkland Islands Government's announcement of squid licences for all successful applicants for the first season in 1988 will be placed in the Library of the House.