To ask the Secretary of State for Social Services who are the members of the National Health Service management board; what are its terms of reference; and how often it meets.
The board has no formal terms of reference. Its role and membership are set out in my reply to my reply to my hon. Friend the Member for Newbury (Mr. McNair-Wilson) on 9 February at columns 207–8. In general it meets formally twice a month.
To ask the Secretary of State for Social Services who are the members of the Social Security management board; what are its terms of reference; and how often it meets.
The members of the Social Security Management Board are:
- C. W. France, Permanent Secretary, DHSS (Chairman)
- Mrs. A. E. Bowtell, Deputy Secretary, Social Security Policy
- D. V. Chislett, Director of Finance, Social Security
- N. E. Clarke, Director Social Security Operations
- M. E. G. Fogden, Chief Executive, The Employment Service
- N. L. Colne, Director, Marks and Spencer PLC
- Sir Geoffrey Otton KCB, formerly Second Permanent Secretary, DHSS
The board is responsible for ensuring that social security benefits are administered quickly, accurately and
The information for 1984 and 1985 is shown in the table. Comparable statistics for 1986 are not yet available.economically; that the Government's investment in computers and information technology is brought into use as soon as possible; and that the social security reforms are successfully implemented. It meets at least once a month.