To ask the Secretary of State for Social Services what information he has regarding the relative usage of National Health Service facilities amongst different age groups of the United Kingdom population.
The following information is for England. Information about the rest of the United Kingdom is the responsibility of my right hon. and learned Friend the Secretary of State for Scotland and my right hon. Friends the Secretaries of State for Wales and for Northern Ireland.The following is a list of the NHS facilities in England for which statistics are collected centrally and which show some age breakdown of the patients:
- NHS hospital in-patient or day-patient treatment;
- Residents of NHS mental handicap hospitals and units;
- Residents of NHS mental illness hospitals and units;
- Treatment at genito-urinary medicine clinics;
- Smear tests for cervical cancer;
- Chiropody services;*
- Home Nursing Services;*
- Family Planning Services;
- School health services;
- Vaccinations and immunisation;
- General and community dental services*.
In addition, the results of the general household survey provide information with an age breakdown on GP consultations, visits to a dentist, and NHS and private hospital treatment.
Information on items marked with an asterisk is published annually in "Health and Personal Social Services Statistics for England": other information is provided in the annual report of the chief medical officer of the DHSS, and a number of statistical booklets and bulletins. Copies of all these documents are available in the Library.