To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment if he has yet decided which questions on race relations matters should be specified for the purposes of section 18 of the Local Government Act 1988.
Following consultation with the Commission for Racial Equality, the Confederation of British Industry, the local authority associations and other interested bodies, I have decided that the questions and description of evidence specified under section 18(5) of the Local Government Act 1988 should be as follows:LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1988-SECTION 18(5)
Speccation of questions and descriptions of evidence
1. Is it your policy as an employer to comply with your statutory obligations under the Race Relations Act 1976 and, accordingly, your practice not to treat one group of people less favourably than others because of their colour, race, nationality or ethnic origins in relation to decisions to recruit, train or promote employees?
2. In the last three years, has any finding of unlawful racial discrimination been made against your organisation by any court or industrial tribunal?
3. In the last three years, has your organisation been the subject of formal investigation by the Commission for Racial Equality on grounds of alleged unlawful discrimination?
If the answer to question 2 is in the affirmative or in relation to question 3, the Commission made a finding adverse to your organisation;
4. What steps did you take in consequence of that finding?
5. Is your policy on race relations set out—
(a) in instructions to those concerned with recruitment, training and promotion; (b) in documents available to employees, recognised trade unions or other representative groups of employees; (c) in recruitment advertisements or other literature?
6. Do you observe as far as possible the Commission for Racial Equality's Code of Practice for Employment, as approved by Parliament in 1983, which gives practical guidance to employers and others on the elimination of racial discrimination and the promotion of equality of opportunity in employment, including the steps that can be taken to encourage members of the ethnic minorities to apply for jobs or take up training opportunities?
Description of evidence
In relation to question 5: examples of the instructions, documents, recruitment advertisements or other literature.
These questions and description of evidence will be notified to local authorities in a circular to be issued shortly.