Skip to main content

Speech-Impaired Children

Volume 164: debated on Monday 8 January 1990

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland how many children with speech and language disorders have been placed in specialist residential schools in England from each region and island area in Scotland; and what assistance is available to Scottish parents in locating and selecting such schools for their children.

Information about the number of children with speech and language disorders placed in special residential schools in England is not held centrally. Parents wishing to send their children to such schools should seek assistance and advice from the regional and islands psychological services.

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what guidance has been given by his Department to ensure that speech and language disorders can be properly identified in examinations conducted for the purpose of a record of needs under the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 as amended by the Disabled Persons (Services, Consultation and Representation) Act 1986.

Guidance and advice to education authorities assessing children for the purpose of opening and keeping a record of needs under section 60 of the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 is given in Scottish Education Department circulars No. 1083 and 1087, copies of which will be sent to the hon. Member. The circulars do not give advice on particular learning difficulties such as speech and language disorders, since circumstances and special educational needs will vary with each individual child.

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what information he has about the number of pre-school and school-aged children who are affected by speech and language disorders in each region and islands area in Scotland.